Tuesday 18 September 2012

Week 6 and Beyond!

Wow, what a whirlwind of a last two weeks! When I last posted on this blog over two weeks ago, I thought I would have ample opportunity to sit down and write one final post before I left Chicago. Not only have I spent 5 days in New York since then, I am already back in my student digs in Birmingham ready to begin my final year! I guess, actually, a 'whirlwind' perfectly describes my entire internship experience and it is fitting that I didn't have a spare minute in my final week to write about it. I even worked at the Residence on the last Friday night, which left me with just a couple of hours on Saturday to pack.

So, diary in hand, here I am reminiscing about my last four days at the Consulate! Following Labor Day, I went on a visit with our Vice Consul of Innovation and Economics to the University of Illinois Campus in 'Champagne' (not as glamorous as it sounds). In fact, Champagne is pretty rural- our two hour drive consisted of corn fields and not a whole lot else. The campus itself, however, was amazing. We were taken on a tour of their new research park, went inside Blue Waters supercomputer and even watched a 3D reconstruction of hurricane Katrina. It was a very cool place and we had many interesting meetings with very knowledgeable professors. When we eventually got back to Chicago at around 7pm, we went for tapas with some colleagues and onto a bar in Wrigleyville. 8am-1am days are far more fun than 9-5, but don't leave much time for blogging! ;)

My last couple of days consisted of wrapping up my final pieces of work and internal wash-up meetings with the Consul General and other members of staff. I was able to submit my up to date Midwest Swing States report, I only wish I could have stayed in America to see how my predictions turned out!

We marked the end of my internship with a couple of lovely get togethers, which included an incredible meal at a restaurant called Sable (if you're ever in Chicago, you must go!) and a little gathering in one of our conference rooms in the Consulate, complete with beer and a speech by the Deputy Consul General. I couldn't believe I would be leaving Chicago at the weekend, I felt like I was leaving home! I guess this really is tribute to the staff at the British Consulate and how welcome they made me feel from day one.


Last Night in Chicago
When I finally left Chicago, I did have something rather exciting to look forward to, which took the edge off leaving somewhat! I flew to New York to meet my parents for a few days 'down time' before starting my final year at University. We had a wonderful time there and it was a fabulous end to the summer of a lifetime!









Thanks so much for reading my blog throughout my time in Chicago, I have very much enjoyed having my own little place to reflect on all the experiences I have had this summer. After such an incredible, life changing internship experience, I am now faced with the minor task of finishing my degree and graduating next summer. I know that I will take the skills, experiences and friends made in Chicago with me through my life and my time there will undoubtedly help me in my next step, wherever that may take me! Onwards and Upwards, I hope!

Love, Claire x




3 comments:

  1. aaahhh, what an amazing,wonderful adventure - looking forward to the next chapter, whatever and where ever that may be! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. even i've loved keeping up with your amazing adventures!! good luck with your final year hun :) xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and the best of luck for your final year. I hope others who have read it will be inspired by your experiences.

    ReplyDelete